Short reflection by Maimouna Diop, a Senegalese Young Water Professional who chaired Session 2a4 “Rural Water Supply Management Models” at the World Water Forum 2022, on behalf of RWSN.
This forum is definitely the most impactful ever. Dakar has been the capital of water for 6 days.
Young people have been mobilized around the world to show their commitments. We will live through difficult times in the coming decades: resources will become scarce, demography will experience an exponential rise and funding will be difficult to mobilize due to the global crisis we are already experiencing. The expected action is therefore human and it is now. We must be at the heart of politics by investing ourselves intellectually and physically.
Just a quick reminder : issues related to water control and food security in Senegal were discussed 39 years ago, during a session at the National Assembly on April 14, 1983, with the late Minister Samba Yela Diop (May his soul rest in peace). It simply means that water security is nothing new and that our elders knew how to sound the alarm at an early stage. We have to be as benevolent as our elders to identify new challenges to be met in the coming years.
Understanding the issues related to water will ensure that appropriate decisions can be made and for future generations.
We need to act and now, because there is no green without blue and life is blue.
- Session 24A Introduction by RWSN
- Julia Boulenouar, Aguaconsult;
- Sean Furey, Skat Foundation
- Réforme du mode de gestion des ouvrages hydrauliques ruraux par les communautés villageoises au Sénégal
- Mamadou Diagne, Administrateur Sahel Conse Expert en Habitat et Développement Urbain;
- Adama NDIANOR Expert hydrologue, Opérateur STEFI
- L’externalisation de la gestion de l’AEP en milieu rural au secteur privé L’expérience de l’ONEE MAROC
- Bahaeddine AKDI, Chef de la Division GESTION à la Direction Généralisation de l’accès à l’Eau potable ONEE MAROC
- MISE EN OEUVRE D’UN PARTENARIAT PUBLIC-PRIVÉ (PPP) POUR LA GESTION DU SERVICE D’EAU POTABLE A EJEDA, MADAGASCAR
- Amina DAHANE, Responsable des opérations, Head of operations, ONG HAMAP-Humanitaire
- Results based contracts to sustain and scale professional rural services
- Dr Alex Money, Uptime Catalyst Facility / University of Oxford
- Water Quality Testing Assurance Fund (English)
- Fonds d’assurance de la qualité de l’eau (Francais)
- Caroline Delaire, Aquaya Institute