Happy New Year!
Let’s start 2016 with a bang: a call for expressions of interest (EOIs) for ‘Catalyst Grants’ which are commissioned under the REACH programme.
These Catalyst Grants of between £10,000 and £50,000 each are designed to explore novel approaches to water security and poverty research and policy that complement the core research conducted by the REACH programme. These grants will promote the co-production of effective tools and technologies relevant for and adopted by policy makers, practitioners, civil society organisations and enterprise.
There are three themes for this call:
- Water security for vulnerable people
- Water security risk science
- Water security partnerships.
This is the first call for EOIs for Catalyst Grants. Applicants whose EOIs are successful will be invited to submit a full proposal. There will be at least one further round of Catalyst Grants issued throughout the programme, with a second call for EOIs in 2016. Further calls may be issued subject to available funding. However, as funding for this programme is fixed, applicants are encouraged to apply for grants early in the programme.
The guidance note below provides information about the REACH programme, Catalyst Grants and the rules and guidance for submitting an EOI. Expressions of interest must be submitted via the online system which will be live on this page in the week commencing 4 January 2016. You can see a preview of the application form below. The deadline for submitting EOI applications is 09:00 GMT on 15 February 2016.
The call is open to both academic and non-academic organisations.
Make rural water security a priority in 2016
We are encouraging RWSN members to collaborate and apply – rural people are often the poorest and most vulnerable to water risks, including floods, droughts, water pollution, crop failure, livestock mortality, either through sudden shocks or longer term trends in climate, demographics or natural resource depletion.
More resources and background
If you want to find out more about REACH, the 2015 Water Security Conference held in December or about water security in general, here are some useful links:
- REACH Country Diagnostic Reports – Kenya, Ethiopia, Bangladesh
- REACH Partnership Funding – webpage and video
- News article on the conference ‘Water Security: less talk, more action’
- Social media summary of the conference on Storify
- Conference photos
- Video and audio of the conference sessions
- “Securing Water, Sustaining Growth” Report of the GWP/OECD Task Force on Water Security and Sustainable Growth
- Blog | Can mobile monitoring deliver drinking water security to Africa’s rural poor?
Unfortunately, only English supported.